Sunday, 28 August 2016

Five Reasons to Lift Weights


Lifting weights has become a very central part to my lifestyle. I have been going to the gym religiously (typically between three to six times a week) for the past six years. Increasing someone’s size and physical strength is pivotal to one’s personal progression and growth – it certainly has been for my own. In light of my own experiences regarding the glorious power of the barbell, here are five reasons why all people should lift weights.

1. It gives you a physical presence.

If you lift weights correctly, you will develop an upright posture and a strong looking physique. Having well-developed shoulders, a strong chest and trunk, along with well built legs gives you presence. This will help you no end in social situations, as it will give you the confidence to act with conviction when working or discussing things with others. The well-built, physically fit man or woman will almost always appear to have the upper hand over their lethargic looking, sickly counter parts. On another note also, it also separates you from the rest. You will, at least appear to, be the cream of the crop. People will look up to you and people will be more likely to listen to you due to your potent presence.

2. Perseverance and mental strength.

Looking at the daunting prospect of lifting up a 450lb barbell and then doing so takes considerable mental strength. Looking at the squat rack knowing that you have one more set do to, even though your legs feel like jelly, pushes your mental strength to its upper limits. But if you do this week in and week out, your mental strength, along with your physical strength, will increase. You will then find that the perseverance that you have trained in the gym will then lend itself into other aspects of life, such as in the workplace and in relationships.

The deadlift. An intimidating exercise.


    3. Excel at other sports.

In my youth I used to be one of the best swimmers in my year at school. However, once people became bigger and stronger, I stayed the same. I did not become physically stronger, so my times did not improve. However, when I started to lift weights, my times decreased dramatically and I went on to win many races. The explosive power that you attain from lifting weights will help you no end in sports. Sports such as rugby, swimming, martial arts, American football and athletics all require explosive power. Most crucially of all is that your core muscles will be strengthened significantly, as they form the basis of all of your body’s movements. This will be the case especially if you focus on compound exercises. These are exercises such as the overhead press, bench press, squats and deadlifts.  Lifting weights will almost definitely be of benefit to your chosen sport.

    4. You are more energetic.

It is of no surprise that people who lift weights are far more energetic than people who do not. In my personal experience, I find that I feel much more fatigued during the day if I do not do any physical activity. As your stamina and strength increases, you will feel energised far more often. The endorphin hormones released during and after exercise will also give you a natural high – therefore making you more inclined to take part in more activities and sports.

    5. You will be a role model to others.


Always adding weight.
Who is a schoolboy more likely to look up to as a role model – a man with a lean physique and a V-tapered torso, or a man with a beer belly and arms that resemble spaghetti? As previously mentioned in the first point, lifting weights will give you a greater physical presence. And this presence will have an impact on others. Since I have discovered the glorious power of the barbell, I have gone on to train with friends and other people who also want to become stronger and fitter. Along with the fact that lifting weights will make you feel good about yourself, you will feel even more empowered when you see how you are able to help other people. For me, this is one of the best parts about going to the gym and lifting weights.


No comments:

Post a Comment